Monday, January 21, 2008

What's In the Box?

People lose stuff all the time; it's a natural thing to misplace something, especially if you have a lot of other things to keep track of. I've done it, I know my friends have done it. It's completely natural. And of course, since some people lose stuff, other people find it. There are two different kinds of people to who find things: they either keep it for themselves, or they make a lost and found box and hope, on the honor system, that the proper owner comes along to collect it. Well, there's a lost and found box in my building, a glorified college dorm styled building. The box is meant for people who've either a) lost their room keys, or b) lost their meal card for the mess. That's what the box is meant for.

Anyway, I was standing around waiting for a cab to go into town with a friend when curiosity overtook me. I walk up to the box, the first time ever, and peek in the slot. There are three things that I can clearly see in the box. The first is a lighter. I've no idea whether it is full or not, just that it's there. Second, there is a pack of cigarettes, open, and missing probably three from the pack. So let's tally what we got so far in the box: a lighter and a pack of cigs. Rather odd for a key and meal card slot box, eh? Most curious, though, is the last item in the box: a GST cheque. I could even read the print for how much it was worth: $54.00.

In total, what I saw in the box was a Bic lighter, a pack of cigarettes (Player's), and a GST cheque for $54.00.

Why these items are there, I can't begin to fathom, but considering that there was a beer bottle on the top of the entire ensemble, I can only imagine the kind of drunkard that put everything there in the first place. Maybe I should try and claim all the stuff in it. I could go for an extra $54.00...

No comments: