Friday, March 27, 2009

Journal Entry 01

While I was in Afghanistan, I made the shoddy attempt to keep a journal. It lasted only so long before my mind wandered to a point where I just didn't care enough to keep one anymore. That and I find I can't organize my thoughts enough when writing on paper or my wrist gives out and I just don't want to write anymore. It's why I love a keyboard -- can write for hours. But, anyway, without further adieu, here is the first entry in my journal.


27 February 2008.

I got into Afghanistan sometime around 2300 on the 26 of February. We were pulled out of the Herc's and piled onto a long stream of buses that wheeled out onto the tarmac to pick us up. Never seen buses done up in gaudy orange or purple until now. Even though it's late, it's hot, like the summer. I can see all our kit being offloaded from the pallets onto trucks that follow us. Eventually we stop. I'm not even sure where we are at the moment. Turns out it's the 'New Canada House.'

There was the usual jug-fuck outside the New Canada House -- people scrambling for their kit as it's tossed off the pallets that were offloaded from the truck or confused or wondering where it was we're going to be sleeping. Briefings followed like they always do, attempting to illuminate the dark recesses of our minds with knowledge, but some French-Canadian is talking. His accent is horrible and I end up tuning out. Didn't matter anyway -- all I ever have to do is play 'Monkey See, Monkey Do' or 'Follow the Leader' and all turns out fine.

The filling out of paperwork follows. Hand in ID cards and passports; make sure PEN forms are up-to-date. The usual dogshit points the average soldier doesn't care about. Eventually, some time about 0200, people finally go to ground. Long few hours and I have to be up for more bullshit tomorrow...

...only my tomorrow is still today.

My sister's birthday. Called home, but she's at work. I leave a message with my mom wishing her well and that I made it over fine. Don't know when I'll get to call again.

What followed that day was the issue of essential (camelbak) and non-essential (TAC vest) kit. I don't know why I'm being issued the exact same crappy vest that I was issued in Canada except in Arid CADPAT. What a waste of money. I now have three issued vest, all of them junk and a fourth rig I bought myself because I know it works.

That night around 1900 or 2000 we do a "zeroing" rage. Shot pretty good with my back-up iron sight. Got an excellent grouping -- no complaints. Go back to the shacks to get some rack time. Sleep is important, and tomorrow is just more problems.

No comments: