Wednesday, November 12, 2008

All I Wanted was a Block Heater

There are books out there written about people being stupid, incompetent, retarded, and other words to describe these people and their actions. I have been dealing with a company that seems to be bathing in incompetence. No, more like they ooze it from their pores. It's a stench, an oder -- I am a dissatisfied, disgruntled and otherwise angry customer. Why? Because the persons I have entrusted to do a job for my money have otherwise made excuses and failed to follow suit on their promises. Now, I'm a simple man. While I might complain, I generally keep it to myself as long as the job gets done. But the complete and utter failure to do so, well, that in and of itself warrants a lot of frustration on my part, doesn't it?

A week ago, I called Canadian Tire about the possibility of getting a block heater installed in my truck so as to keep it running, and have the ability to start the damn thing when the temperature drops below forty degrees centigrade. They informed me, after I provided a little information about myself and my vehicle, that they would have to order in the part. I scheduled a time for installation, that being Monday. I was looking forward to finally getting this nuance out of the way. Now, some might be thinking that that was my own mistake, asking Canadian Tire to do it, and you know, you're right, it was a mistake. I should've gone someplace else, but I don't know of any other places, which is why I'm sticking to my guns on this one.

Anyway, Monday roles around and I get a phone call. It's Canadian Tire, and they're telling me they don't have the block heater at all. When I inquire as to why they don't have it, they tell me that it wasn't ordered. Yet the previous week I had been assured that it was ordered. Checks in the mail, you know the deal. Well, that didn't happen. So, while blinking for a moment as I process this supreme fuck up on their part, I ask them when the soonest they can get the part in. They tell me Wednesday. I then say, call me back when the part is ordered. I hang up. Fifteen minuets later, they call back. The part has been ordered. When should I come by for installation? They suggest Thursday. I tell them no, as I have previous engagements thanks to my job. Friday. Again, no, same thing. Saturday? Again, no, for the same reasons. And they don't work Sunday's, leaving today, Wednesday, as my only opportunity to get this over and done with.

So I take my truck in. Suffice to say, they didn't have the part. Their supplier won't answer their calls. No word. I sat there for a couple hours waiting, and nothing was done. Finally, one of the attendants decides that it might be in her better interest to inform me of all these "hiccups" that are keeping them from completing the job. Finally, it came down to them saying they would call me when they have the part and take it from there. Here's hoping the third time is the charm. Fuck.

No comments: