Saturday, May 30, 2009

No Job Nancy

I got myself ready for work in the same fashion I always do, with the same generalized, apathetic malaise. I make my lunch, assemble the little bits of food I'll eat during break, toss it all into my bag, and wait out the last half hour before I leave for the afternoon/night shift I just got put on. After switching from day's to nights, I can say it's leaving me tired. My body isn't used to this staying up late crap yet, so after doing one shift this week, a second is definitely going to be a task to complete. Eventually, as time winds down, I leave.

Bide my time, flying down the highway at one-ten kilometers an hour, I make it to the plant in a half hour. Park and notice most of the guys who work my shift are standing around outside chatting, which is somewhat unusual. I walk up, say hi, get told there's a meeting at 4:30. I nod, walk inside, drop my bag, go back outside for a few minutes, chat about random, nonessential crap. After a few minutes, back inside. Everyone gets sat down around the table. I already know what's coming, too. We'd gotten a talk last week. I figured this would be my last week of work.

The boss tells us that things aren't going well. He has to do layoffs. I was expecting this already. I've gotten my resume up to date in anticipation of this. Can't say I've even been the optimistic one. But the boss says it's only temporary. He expects to have us all back in a few weeks. After all, we sell water, and things always pick up in the summer. This is true, so there's still the possibility that it could happen. But I know that, being the pessimist that I am, I'm still going to be handing out resumes. Because even though the boss says eventually, I have bills to pay, and I need work. So come Monday, I'll be beating the pavement. And with Summer on the way, certain places will be hiring.

Damn this recession bullshit.

1 comment:

J. Durden said...

Have you found employment yet?