Sunday, June 21, 2009

Welcome to the Service Industry

I recently started working at a Tim Horten's. I despise the service industry with a passion. It doesn't help that I'm foul-mouthed at the best of times. So imagine the amount of restrain it takes me to put a smile on my face and greet people like I actually do care for eight hours. You want a large triple-triple coffee and a donut? I'd like the recession bullshit to stop so I can get a real job and not feel backed into a corner when it comes time to pay rent. However, even for all I'm bashing the job, it isn't too, too bad. Time flies when you're constantly being mobbed for more coffee by caffeine addicts. Seriously, this stuff is like crack to some people. Woman came into the store and was shaking, visibly. She wanted not one, but TWO extra-large coffees. Dear Lord, I can't even bring myself to think about drinking one -- that and the allergic reaction to caffeine.

Also, as an aside, I used to like the idea of eating donuts. You know, I like my sweets. Sugar isn't bad or a devil people make it out to be -- it's good for the body, recharges you. But just so you know, I boycott Denny's. I worked at one, once; years ago now, maybe a decade. I refuse to eat at one since -- conditions in back were just atrocious. I don't eat fast food like McDonald's or Burger King. I've heard too many stories from friends of the conditions in back who worked there and the things they did. Now, I don't ever think I'll want to eat another donut again. Once I've seen what's done with food at a joint I work at, I'd rather just make it myself.

So, yeah, got a job. Now I just need to find a better one...with less people. Lord help me.

No comments: