Monday, January 11, 2010

There's Only One Shape!

So, I'm at work and a couple of the girls are talking about the idea of going to the gym and losing weight. Apparently it's a part of their New Years resolution (and this is one that takes second and third place for yearly resolutions, or even first place; I know, not very original). I start talking to them about going to the gym. Then they ask me, because they understand that I know a thing or two about the gym and getting into shape, whether or not I'd be willing to go with or take them.

As an aside, I used to be in really good shape. I could run five kilometers in just under twenty minutes, and while I might not have been able to bench-press my own weight, but I could do a good fifty-plus push ups, and was fairly strong in my own right. Well, currently, I'm out of shape, and while my New Years resolution isn't to get back into shape, the idea of getting back into shape does feel right to me. End result? I say, "Sure, I'll take you both to the gym if you want and help you get into shape."

Both start outlining what their goals are. "I want to lose weight around my midsection" or "I want trimmer triceps." My response? I'll take you to the gym, and you will get into shape, but you are going to hate me. I pretty much said what my game plan was. Hard work is what gets you into shape. The old adage about no pain, no gain? That's true. I said how they'd find new aches in places they never thought possible if they came to the gym with me, and that I would push them to achieve, partly because I would also be pushing myself to achieve.

Now, neither of these girls are largely overweight. They just want to get fit. No qualms. I'll be going to the gym tomorrow about membership prices. I'm going to see if I can somehow finagle a deal of some kind for three people for four months (because I plan on moving). Here's hoping they don't lose heart.

1 comment:

J. Durden said...

They probably will.

Remember to remind them about good pain and bad pain. That took me a while to figure out.