Tuesday, January 05, 2010

You Want a Cold One, Eh?

My new year was good, so I thought. I had some goals in mind (some of which I plan to write down so that I remember I'm supposed to be achieving these things, some serious, some not so) and a sense of some good will toward others -- almost. Most of this in part comes from the fact I know I'll be leaving Tim Hortons soon; I plan to move in the Spring, be gone, get a new job, get back to university, continue life. For all my New Years resolutions (or lack thereof because I don't make resolutions in the sense that most people make them, such as "I want to be a better person!", which in my part would be a lie), you'd think people would make some kind of resolution to be more intelligent or to pay more attention to finer details. Or just not be complete idiots.

One such person who should have had a Pro-Choice mother decides he wants to order a latte. Simple thing to make. So I make it, hand him his beverage and wish him a good day (which if anyone who knows me, I may say, but I honestly don't mean it). He promptly complains about his latte. For a moment, I thought perhaps I had made it wrong, done something to foul up the mix of foamed and steamed milk or what-have-you, but no, his complaint is that the latte, a hot drink, is hot. I wanted to reach across the counter and slap him. Of course it's hot! It wouldn't be what you asked for otherwise if it wasn't. So he asks if I can put some milk in it to cool it down. I take the lid off and admit to him that the cup is full (him having burned his poor tongue on his hot latte and not having actually drank anything yet) and that I would have to pour some of the latte out to put in the cold milk to cool it down for him. He complains about that, since it would ruin that mix I was talking about before! Of course it would, nevermind diluting the espresso already in it. What a moron.

No, I have to actually remake his order and somehow make it cooler than the first one. Not that hard, really. All I did was make a medium latte as opposed to the large he asked for and dump in a crapload of milk to cool it down. He didn't even thank me. No, he just acted like I had screwed up his order. I wish more people had some form of cognizance to realize what it is they're asking for, so speak plainly, and no flip-out when they get exactly what they asked for in the manner they ask for it.

1 comment:

J. Durden said...

Somehow I feel a connection between what happened in this story and the lie of independence most people live with, but my fatigue prevents a clear articulation of this sentiment.