Tuesday, December 13, 2005

I Can't Hear You

I had my Canadian Forces entrance exams today. The good news is that I passed. There are no words to convey the amount of elation and exuberance I have at this joyous news. Gleeful doesn't quite cut it, either. I'm bouncing off-the-wall, giddy, sugar-high-like happy, that's how over-joyed I am at this news.

The tests themselves were straightforward. I passed the aptitude with exceptionally high scores, apparently. Physical I passed flying colors. interview went well. In fact, you think there wouldn't be a hitch at all considering how high-flying I was. And then I hit the medical, something I didn't think would give me any problems. Now, I've always known I was kinda hard of hearing, but apparently "hard-of-hearing" doesn't quite cut it.

My hearing is damaged, mostly in my right ear, it seems, but also partly in my left. Now, I know where the damage stems from. A friend of mine put an air-horn to my ear when I was six. No, I do not advocate doing this, no matter how funny the idea might seem to some people. Anyway, with my hearing as bad as it is, I was classed an H3 for hearing--it goes H1 - H4, H4 being deaf as a doornail or some such. To get in, I need to be an H2 or H1.

Well, the Doc looked it over, found updated material for what the hearing requirements were for entries into the armed forces, especially in the trade I wanted to get into--Infantry Soldier. The new specs basically ignore my high-freq. hearing disability (can't hear high-freq. noise, apparently), thus putting me into the realm of H2. Therefore, I get in, barely scraping by, but in nonetheless. The only consolation to me is that when my parents or anyone else tells me I don't listen, I can safely say that it's because I can't hear them yapping away in the first place.

All in all, a good day. Also, the riling up I went through with the anxiousness/nervousness was a waste of time. The worrying got me nothing; I passed, I'm glad, it's good. I've got decent chances of getting a call sometime in January with a job-offering. I can't wait, really.

No comments: