Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Merry Fucking Christmas

It's the season to be jolly and happy and give and be given to and show affection and kindness and wonder for all things! No, wait, scratch that. I feel frustration, annoyance; I'm not in a good mood, I'm pissed off and I want to throttle the retard who stands in front of me in a line at a local Walmart because they won't use a Credit or Debit card and are scrapping around for the last few pennies in their change purse.

The holidays, we talk about how we should show our families that we care. We're bombarded on TV by Christmas specials and on the radio by Christmas songs, all of them proclaiming in one way or another about the joy and wonder of Christmas all over the world. And then the drive by foundations and charities asking for money to help those less fortunate.

And I pull my hair out and scream at the whole thing.

The gifts make you broke. You can't find a parking spot, and whatever it is that some nephew or niece or son or daughter or friend of lover or spouse wants, you can't find, or it's sold out because it's the newest, most awesome thing to hit store shelves this year!

Bills and more bills and credit lines stretched thin and tempers flaring and frustration and hate for our fellow man. No longer a spirit of good will, but one of anger. And then somebody out there feels they're not getting the best of it and decides to end it all in tragedy with the belief that nobody will care that their end came and passed. It's Christmas! Let's all be happy!

I have a friend who works as a 911 call operator. What kind of calls does she get this time a year? Noise disturbance, drunks, suicides, woe, desperation--all that Christmas-y Cheer seems to have been spread thin and people can't take it anymore.

What am I getting my family this year? Something simple, something they can use and appreciate and won't be discarded once the festivities are done and tossed into some back closet and forgotten or mistreated and sold years later at a garage sale where mindless junk gets put. But we all want the shiny stuff, the extravagant stuff, the things that have no purpose and no value and no meaning and costs a fortune. The corporate logo of Christmas: "I want YOU to spend a lot. To prove you love your family.

Bah Humbug, I despise the season.

No comments: