Wednesday, December 21, 2005

The Long Way Down

I drove home about four days ago, generally a ten hour drive. Well, most of the way home. I crashed at my sisters place, which happens to be along the route on the way home. Hurrah for siblings. Anyway, the trip in and of itself could be said to be fairly uneventful, but then I'd be lying. I'm driving along the highway, in winter season with only seasonal tires. This means that I'm staying at or below the speed limit and being overly cautious because I like being alive. Well, it also gets dark early, so even though it might be only a little after 7 PM or something, it's pitch black.

So, driving along when some asshole who's speeding comes up behind me. We're on a straight stretch, no cars coming in the opposite lane at all. I thought the guy would pass me and be done with that. I mean, had he wanted to, I would've slowed down a little more and pulled to the side to let him by. Nope. He pulls up right behind me, tailgating me, then turns his high beams on right in my mirror blinding me.

While I'm blinking away spots, my initial reaction is to, of course, slam my foot as hard on the breaks as possible, just to make sure their working. Nearly made the guy run off the road (which is overlooking this lovely river down below on the side of a sheer cliffside I might add. Canyons are FUN! So, he breaks too, but after that little act of being a fucking asshole, he kept his distance for the most part until I hit a passing lane. Then he shot by me, honking his horn. I'm pretty sure he was cussing me out too, but I don't care. Fucking jerk does that to me, what does he expect?

Rest of the trip was pretty uneventful. Got snow tires (very important), got home, and now I'm stuck with the same problem I have whenever I come home. I've been running on so little sleep that suddenly my face is like a raccoons, I can barely keep my eyes open and I'm exhausted beyond the beyond. Just so fucking tired I want to bash my head into a wall and enjoy the sweet embrace of unconsciousness. Course, it's the holidays, so family and friends are over, so whatever sleep I want to get is interrupted by this. Although, I can't say that I'm not at fault for this problem of no sleep. I keep odd enough hours that it makes getting the sleep I'd otherwise need is near impossible. I really need to re-think that sleep schedule of mine.

On the up-side, though, is that I'm kept more than busy enough that I rarely go on the computer anymore. Probably a good thing. I'm breaking my addiction! Not really...

No comments: