Saturday, October 22, 2005

Does This Make Me Look Fat?

I was asked why I hadn't updated this yet, why there wasn't another article on dueling or role-playing and some myth that needed to be debunked or some problem or conundrum solved. Well, it's because I haven't been able to think of something to write about. I go in search of questions in which to answer. And speaking of questions to answer, a funny question was poised to me by Corbow:

What would you suggest when undertaking a new character of the opposite sex?

I can't say my own response to the question was any good, or even a half-way-decent answer, and the answer I gave is heavily biased from my own point of view, especially so considering I'm a male. The answer itself was very stereotypical, actually--a generalization; anyway, my answer went like this:

If you're a guy trying to play as a girl, become bitter, petty, fickle and misunderstand all things.

If you're a girl trying to play as a guy, think about baser instincts and emotions; hate, rage, anger with a smattering of angst and horny.

Yeah, real poor answer. But then again, there's always the movie As Good as it Gets to fall back on:

"How do you write women so well?"

"I think of a man, and I take away reason and accountability."

Yeah, still pretty bad, isn't it?

I suppose it is a real conundrum in and of itself. How would a guy role-play a woman, and how would a woman role-play a guy? Neither sex understands the other. All we have are generalizations, and it then takes a huge leap of faith to see if we can't get even part of the scenario right if we were suddenly put into the opposite sex's shoes.

Could always fall back on those stereotypes, and they might see you through only partway, though. Role playing is meant to be immersive, to immerse yourself in the role of the character. To not only get inside the characters' head, but let other role players see you're good at it and to make a connection with your character and empathize with it. No easy task, especially so when you're trying to role play as the opposite sex.

You'd think with this one there are easy answers. There aren't, and I'll make no claims that I have any good answers on this subject. I'm pretty sure someone somewhere has a better answer for all this than I; maybe they'll drop me a line and give me a tip, or leave a comment. Best I can offer up for advice is experiment. Worst comes to worst, base the character off a girl (or guy) you know and see how it goes.

 

- W. Visarett

No comments: