Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Say What?

We get signal.

What?

Main CRT turn on.

It's post!

How are you role-players?

All your post are unintelligible.

You are on the path to misunderstanding.

What you say?

You have no chance to comprehend, make your time.

Yeah, that's exactly what happens in my mind when I run right into another garbled post for a duel or role play. I don't think any of us happen to like posts that are so unintelligible that we can't make sense of what's what in them, especially in duels. In a duel, you're supposed to explicitly tell your opponent what you are doing. When you fail to do so, there is a lack of clarity and understanding to be had turning the whole post into one giant ambiguous mess--and let's face it, when you fail to write what you're doing clearly for all to understand, you fail as a duelist.

Why do I say this? Well, I'll give you an example.

In business, especially large corporations, when you relate a proposal to your boss, you have to be very clear, very explicit, about what it is you're proposing. If you're not, the proposal goes down the drain and becomes a waste. If you send documents to another law firm with documentation about something, and that documentation isn't clear, a trial could be won or lost on that lack of clarity.

In my mind, and if I were the boss of a certain individual, and he continually submitted documents, proposals and forms that lacked clarity, weren't explicit in their meaning and generally vague, I'd fire him and find someone else who was clear and explicit in their meaning.

But that's me.

I don't like somebody stringing me along without a clue as to what the hell is going on, do you? I should trust not.

If an attack isn't clear, you don't know how to counter it. Throwing in extra words in the hopes of making your post look pretty doesn't make it clear. Cutting out needed details to make your post short doesn't make it clear. What makes a post clear is description that gets the point across. The description doesn't have to be paragraphs upon paragraphs to be clear, either. And example would be something like this:

Ex: Stent jabbed with her right hand toward the bridge of the man's nose.

A single sentence. It tells you exactly, to the letter, what the character is doing. There are no ifs, ands or buts about it. You know for a fact, that Stent is going to punch the man in the nose. You can't get clearer than that. And yet I find many instances where people lapse over the important details for the sake of making things look pretty, or just lapse over the detail altogether.

I guess the problem is, again, always trying to find the happy medium--not too little description, but not too much description. Although, when you think about it, too little is never enough, but too much is superfluous. For all our sakes, I hope we can all be as clear as possible with our attacks in duels. I don't want to think what would happen if we weren't.

 

- W. Visarett

No comments: